I. Selected WIPO Activities
Seventh Global Congress on Combating Counterfeiting and Piracy
The 7th Global Congress on Combating Counterfeiting and Piracywas held in Istanbul on April 24–26, 2013, under the High Auspices of H.E. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, chaired by the World Customs Organization (WCO), hosted by Turkish Customs, and supported by the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey (TOBB). Along with WCO, the Congress was co-organized by WIPO and INTERPOL, in cooperation with the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) through its BASCAP (Business Action to Stop Counterfeiting and Piracy) initiative.
World Intellectual Property Day
The theme of this year’s World Intellectual Property Day -“Creativity – the next generation” - honored the talented and ingenious creators and innovators who are imagining how the world will look tomorrow. In his World IP Day message, WIPO Director General Francis Gurry recalled that “creativity is common to all humanity. It is this human creativity and inventiveness that is responsible for improving our quality of life in every sphere: our medical care, our transport, our communication, our entertainment.” On the next generation of creators, Mr. Gurry noted that “young people have the capacity to dream. They are the future.” The World IP Day was initiated by WIPO Member States in 2000 and is celebrated annually on April 26, the date on which the Convention establishing WIPO entered into force in 1970.
WIPO Activities in the Field of IP Enforcement
In response to requests from Member States and partner organizations, WIPO continued over the past months to organize, and/or participate in a series of national and regional workshops, training courses, conferences and consultations in the area of building respect for IP. Those events included the following:
Trinidad and Tobago: Mission on Building Respect for IP – Project Proposal for the Enforcement of IP Rights, Port of Spain, January 29-31, 2013
- Maldives: Regional Workshop on Building Respect for IP in cooperation with the Maldives Ministry of Economic Development and with the assistance of the Japan Patent Office (JPO), Male, February 13-14, 2013
- Saudi Arabia: Third Arab Forum an Anti-Commercial Fraud, Counterfeiting and IP Rights, Riyadh, March 3-5, 2013
- Antigua and Barbuda: High-Level Roundtable Discussions on Building Respect for IP Rights, March 6-7, 2013
- Grenada: High-Level Roundtable Discussions on Building Respect for IP Rights, March 10-11, 2013
- Barbados: High-Level Roundtable Discussions on Building Respect for IP Rights, March 14-15, 2013
- Switzerland: Study Visit of Legal Drafters from various Member States, WIPO, Geneva, March 18-22, 2013
- Republic of Korea: Interregional Workshop on Copyright Enforcement, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of the Republic of Korea and the Korean Copyright Commission, Seoul, June 4-11, 2013
- Costa Rica: Assistance in Developing a National Strategy for Building Respect for IP, San José, June 5-6, 2013
- Turkey: National Workshop for Judges and Prosecutors on Building Respect for IP, organized together with the High Council for Judges in cooperation with the Directorate General for Copyright, Istanbul, June 12, 2013
- Slovakia: Assistance in Developing a National Strategy for Building Respect for IP, Banská Bystrica, June 19-20, 2013
- Jordan: Regional Workshop on Building Respect for IP, in cooperation with the Industrial Property Protection Directorate of Jordan, Amman, June 25-27, 2013
Furthermore, briefing sessions on Building Respect for IP were conducted for visiting delegations, for example the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) on March 25-27, 2013. A regular update on WIPO’s training and awareness-raising activities is available on the WIPO Building Respect for IP website. In addition, a detailed report on the conducted activities was submitted to the eighth session of the Advisory Committee on Enforcement.
In the framework of WIPO’s support to Member States, the WIPO Award Program bestowed medals and trophies to 73 inventors and creators in 23 Member States between January and June. Also in April 2013, WIPO co-organized with the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property an enhanced presence of WIPO and other IP offices at the “Salon des Inventions de Genève”, including the IP Offices of Algeria, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Romania, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey in addition to the Gulf Cooperation Council.
II. Cooperation With Intergovernmental and Non–Governmental Organizations
Cooperation with the World Customs Organization: Counterfeiting and Piracy Group
WIPO participated in the 8th World Customs Organization (WCO) Counterfeiting and Piracy (CAP) Group meeting that was held at the WCO Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, on May 6 and 7, 2013.
Cooperation with the Private Sector: IPR Business Partnership Group Meeting
WIPO hosted the IPR Business Partnership Group’s meeting in Geneva on June 13, 2013.
Stop Piracy: Swiss Day Against Counterfeit
A public awareness campaign against counterfeit and piracy was held by Stop Piracy on March 22, 2013, in Renens, Switzerland. A poster and short film competition was organized to draw the public’s attention.
EU: Report from the Commission of the European Parliament and the Council on the Functioning of the Memorandum of Understanding on the Sale of Counterfeit Goods via the Internet
EU: Jointly Building Resilient EU Responses to Counterfeiting Conference organized by the EU Observatory
MOU: WCO, FESI, MOVE and RASIE Sign a MOU to Combat Counterfeiting
IACC: 2013 Annual Spring Conference
INTA: 135th Annual Meeting
UNICRI / ICC BASCAP: Report on Proceeds of Crime Legistlation
EU: New European Customs Regulation
ECTA: Annual Conference
USA: 2013 Joint Strategic Plan on Intellectual Property Enforcement
Max Planck: Principles for IP Provisions in Bilateral and Regional Agreements
ATRIP: 32nd Annual Congress in Oxford, UK
OHIM: Conference on Counterfeit Medicines and Illicit Pharmaceutical Business
ITALY: 2013 Counterfeiting in Figures Report
The Directorate General for Combating Counterfeiting – Italian Patent and Trademarks Office (DGLC-UIBM) published a new Intellectual Property Elaborated Report of the Investigation on Counterfeiting (IPERICO) concerning seizures made by the Italian police forces including 2012 data.