DATE: March 27, 1998
WIPO COORDINATION COMMITTEE
Fortieth Session (12th Extraordinary)
Geneva, March 25 to 27, 1998
adopted by the Coordination Committee
1. The Coordination Committee was concerned with the following items of the Consolidated Agenda (document A/32/1 Prov.2): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
2. The report on the said items, with the exception of item 8, is contained in the General Report (document A/32/7).
3. The report on item 8 is contained in the present document.
4. Ms. Lilia R. Bautista (Philippines), Chair of the Coordination Committee, presided over the meeting of the Committee.
ITEM 8 OF THE CONSOLIDATED AGENDA:
POLICIES AND PRACTICES FOR THE NOMINATION
AND APPOINTMENT OF DIRECTORS GENERAL
5. Discussions were based upon document WO/CC/40/1.
6. The Chair recalled that the Coordination Committee had been invited by the General Assembly to establish a Working Group for the purpose of making recommendations to the General Assembly at its session in September 1998 on the policies and practices for the nomination and appointment of Directors General.
7. Following consultations among the Group Coordinators, the Coordination Committee decided:
(i) to establish a Working Group on Policies and Practices for the Nomination and Appointment of Directors General;
(ii) that the Terms of Reference of the Working Group would be those set out in paragraph 4 of document WO/CC/40/1;
(iii) that the composition of the Working Group would be:
the Chairs and the Vice-Chairs of the WIPO Coordination Committee, and any other interested delegations that are members of the Coordination Committee, as well as, as observers, any other interested delegations that are members of WIPO;
(iv) that the first meeting of the Working Group would take place from May 6 to 8, 1998. The Working Group would decide whether to convene any subsequent meetings; and
[End of document]