DATE: December 13, 1996
WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ORGANIZATION
CERTAIN COPYRIGHT AND NEIGHBORING RIGHTS QUESTIONS
Geneva, December 2 to 20, 1996
AMENDMENTS TO PARTLY CONSOLIDATED TEXT OF DRAFT TREATY NO. 1 (CRNR/DC/55)
proposed by the Delegation of the People's Republic of China
1. The Delegation accepts the following provisions of the consolidated text:
Article 1. Relation to the Berne Convention.
Article 3. Notion and place of publication.
Article 4. Computer programs.
Article 5. Compilations of data.
Article 8. Right of distribution (Alternative B).
Article 10. Right of communication.
Article 11. Duration of the protection of photographic works.
Article 14. Obligations concerning rights management information.
Article 16. Special provisions on enforcement of rights (Alternative C).
2. It is proposed that Article 2 and Article 13 be deleted.
3. It is proposed that Article 6 be deleted.
If this Article cannot be deleted, it is proposed that the present text become paragraph (1), and that the following be added as paragraph (2): "Any Contracting Party may, by means of a notification deposited with the Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization at the time of ratification, acceptance or accession, declare that it will not apply the provisions of paragraph (1) of this Article."
4. It is proposed that Article 7 be replaced by: "The exclusive right accorded to authors of literary and artistic works in Article 9(1) of the Berne Convention of authorizing the reproduction of their works in any manner or form shall include direct and indirect permanent reproduction of their works."
5. It is proposed that the phrase "compilations of data or other material in machine-readable form" in Article 9(2) be deleted.
[End of document]