DATE: December 10, 1996
WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ORGANIZATION
CERTAIN COPYRIGHT AND NEIGHBORING RIGHTS QUESTIONS
Geneva, December 2 to 20, 1996
AMENDMENT TO THE PREAMBLE AND TO ARTICLE 1 OF DRAFT TREATY No. 1
proposed by the Delegation of Colombia on behalf of itself and Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela
1. Insert the following in the Preamble:
Emphasizing that, for the countries of the Union, this Treaty is a special agreement as provided for in Article 20 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
2. Delete paragraph (1) of Article 1 as currently drafted, and insert the following:
This Treaty is a special agreement within the meaning of Article 20 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works as regards Contracting Parties that are countries of the Union established by the said Convention. This Treaty shall have no connection, either explicit or implicit, with other treaties or conventions that are directly or indirectly concerned with the same subject matter.
3. Delete paragraph (4) of Article 4 as currently drafted, and insert the following:
The States that become party to this Treaty shall comply with the provisions of the Berne Convention and of the Appendix thereto.
4. Add the following paragraph at the end of Article 1:
(5) The intergovernmental organizations party to this Treaty shall comply with the provisions of Articles 1 to 21 of the Berne Convention and with those of the Appendix thereto.
[End of document]