The Global Innovation Index (GII) 2018 will be released in New York City, USA, on July 10, 2018, from 11:00 a.m. local time.
The Index provides detailed metrics about the innovation performance of 126 countries and economies around the world. Its 80 indicators explore a broad vision of innovation, including political environment, education, infrastructure and business sophistication.
Sign up for economics and statistics alerts | Join on social media: #GII2018
Time: 11:00 a.m.-1:15 p.m. (GMT-4), followed by the 22nd MEI Dialogs – Innovation in the Americas
Location: The Cornell Tech Campus, Roosevelt Island, 2 W Loop Rd, NY 10044, New York City, USA
Limited space is available for the public. Please register to attend.
Download the flyer
Presentation of the Report
- Soumitra Dutta, Co-editor of the GII, Former Dean and Professor, SC Johnson College of Business, Cornell University
- Bruno Lanvin, Co-editor of the GII, and Executive Director, Global Indices, INSEAD
- Carsten Fink, WIPO Chief Economist
Comments by GII Knowledge Partners
- Chandrajit Banerjee, Director General, Confederation of Indian Industry
- Barry Jaruzelski, Principal and US Leader, Industrial Products and Automotive Advisory Practice, PwC’s Strategy&
- Gianna Sagazio, Innovation Director, National Confederation of Industry (CNI) Brazil, and Superintendent, Euvaldo Lodi Institute (IEL)
Panel discussion: "Energizing the World with Innovation"
- Ajay Banga, President, Chief Executive Officer, Mastercard
- Valentine Rugwabiza, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Rwanda to the United Nations in New York
- Pedro Wongtschowski, Member of the Board of Directors, Ultrapar Participações and Embraer; GII Advisory Board
- Rima Qureshi, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Sweta Govani, Managing Director, Global Innovation Exchange at Results for Development
Chaired by WIPO Director General Francis Gurry.
The launch of the GII is followed by the 22nd MEI Dialogs – Innovation in the Americas
from 2:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
How is energy innovation transforming the world?
The theme of the GII 2018, Energizing the World with Innovation, looks at innovation happening in the energy sector around the world.
Access to energy is a prerequisite for improving standards of living, economic development and – in the context of the Global Innovation Index – a necessary ingredient to innovation. Projections indicate that by 2040 the world will require up to 30% more energy than it needs today. At the same time, conventional approaches to energy supply – particularly in cities – are unsustainable in the face of climate change. This requires shifting towards cleaner and more efficient methods of producing energy through traditional sources as well as scaling up the use of renewable sources.
This year’s report reviews the state of innovation in the energy sector across countries. Chapters of the report provide more details on this year’s theme from academic, business, and particular country perspectives from leading experts and decision makers.
About the Global Innovation Index
The Global Innovation Index (GII) is a leading reference for measuring a country’s innovation performance. Now in its 2nd decade, the GII has established itself as a “tool for action” for decision makers, leading to the improvement of innovation metrics, the removal of obstacles to innovation and the shaping of efficient national innovation policy strategies.
Past editions | More background and resources on the GII | GII Android app | GII iOS app