Cooperation with Transition and Developed Countries
The Division for Certain Countries in Europe and Asia (DCEA) ensures WIPO cooperation activities in the regions covering Certain Countries in Europe and Asia, namely Central European and Baltic States, Central Asian, Eastern European and Caucasian countries, as well as some Mediterranean countries. The key focus of DCEA is to promote the use of the Intellectual Property system by stimulating innovation and creativity for their economic development, with particular focus on the need to establish a market order and respect for intellectual property in an effective way.
The objective is to tailor WIPO’s technical assistance by taking into consideration the differences at respective levels of economic and social development of Cooperating Countries and, hence, also different levels of IP infrastructure. In meeting this challenge WIPO will support these countries in developing national IP strategies, identifying strategic issues, opportunities and risks, promoting the implementation of such strategies to accomplish development objectives, supporting national economic analysis, introducing modern management methods for the use of IP assets for economic growth.
Our Main Strategies
- Further promotion of IP, taking into consideration different levels of economic, social and cultural development, as well as different levels of existing national IP infrastructures.
- Continued cooperation in building national capacities, a relevant knowledge base, and infrastructure, with a view to enhance the development of IP strategies and their inclusion in overall national development plans.
- Development of relevant IP tools or guidance, taking into consideration requirements of countries in transition, responding to their specific needs and challenges; taking advantage of experience gained through implementation of IP-related activities.
New at TDC
- The establishment of the new Section for the Coordination of Developed Countries in the Department for Transition and Developed Countries
- Roundtable discussion in WIPO on Commercializing Innovation for Economic Success - the Success Mode of Israel Innovation Technology, Geneva, April 10, 2013
- Guidance for the development of an Intellectual Property Strategy in Countries in Transition, Version Two, Prepared by the DCEA
- The Role of IP, in particluar, trademars and geographical indications, in creating, developing and strenghtening a nation brand, Version One, Prepared by the DCEA
- National Seminar on Hague System, Tajikistan, December 11 and 12, 2012
- Sub-Regional Seminar on the Hague Agreement, Czech Republic, December 6, 2012
- Expopriority 2012, Russian Federation, November 28 to 30, 2012
- Enforcement for Judges, Bulgaria, November 22 and 23, 2012
(for more recent activites go to Events)