Procedure to be Followed by International Intergovernmental Organizations Wishing to Avail Themselves of Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property
International intergovernmental organizations desiring to communicate, under Article 6ter(3)(b) of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property of March 20, 1883, as amended, to the States party to the Convention and to the Members of the World Trade Organization the list of armorial bearings, flags and other emblems, and abbreviations and names that they wish to have protected under Article 6ter(1)(b) of the Convention, should take the following steps:
(1) Send the following by e-mail to the International Bureau of WIPO for its comments to email@example.com:
- a draft request [DOC] for communication under Article 6ter(3)(b) of the Paris Convention of the armorial bearings, flags, other emblems, abbreviations and name that the organization wishes to have protected under Article 6ter(1)(b), presented by the executive head of the organization concerned or an officer of that organization duly authorized to that effect;
- for requests based on the Guidelines, use this draft request [DOC];
- a draft reproduction [DOC] of the armorial bearings, flags and other emblems, and abbreviations and names for which protection is sought;
- a copy in English or French of the Statutes or Constituting Charta of the organization submitting the request and a list of the member States of that organization, except in the case of an organization belonging to the United Nations system or an organization that has already communicated such information to WIPO.
(2) Once the draft request and the draft reproduction of the signs for which protection is sought are found to be in order for communication, send to the International Bureau of WIPO:
- an official request for communication. This request for communication should reach the International Bureau of WIPO no later than one month before the date of the semi-annual electronic communication on the last working day in March and September of each year. Official requests received during the one-month period prior to the semi-annual publication will not be included in that publication, but published as part of the following semi-annual publication.
- attach to the request a reproduction on paper, of the armorial bearings, flags, other emblems, abbreviations and names for which protection is requested.