The WIPO Internet Domain Name Process needed to move forward on an accelerated basis. The process consisted of the following steps, culminating in a final report submitted to ICANN and reported to WIPOs member States:
- Publication of WIPO RFC-1 on the draft terms of reference setting out the proposed scope of the project, including the issues to be addressed, the proposed procedures and a suggested timetable for completion of the work.
- Meeting of the panel of experts to assist WIPO in settling the terms of reference on the basis of the comments received on WIPO RFC-1 and preparation of WIPO RFC-2 soliciting comments on all issues on which recommendations are to be formulated.
- Publication of WIPO RFC-2.
- Regional hearings and consultations with the panel of experts on the issues raised in WIPO RFC-2.
- Preparation of WIPO RFC-3 in the form of an Interim Report on the basis of all comments received on WIPO RFC-2.
- Publication of WIPO RFC-3.
- Regional hearings and consultations with the panel of experts WIPO RFC-3.
- Preparation and publication of the Final Report on the basis of all comments received on WIPO RFC-3.
|July 8, 1998||Publication WIPO RFC-1 (terms of reference)|
|August 24, 1998||Deadline for comments on WIPO RFC-1|
|Early September 1998||Meeting of Panel of Experts|
|September 14, 1998||Publication of WIPO RFC-2 (issues to be addressed)|
|September - November 1998||Regional Hearings and Consultations|
|November 6, 1998||Deadline for comments on WIPO RFC-2|
|December 23, 1998||Publication of WIPO RFC-3 (Interim Report)|
|January - February 1999||Regional Hearings and Consultations|
|March 19, 1999||Deadline for comments on WIPO RFC-3|
|April 30, 1999||Publication of Final Report|