World Intellectual Property Organization

[cctlds-comments] WIPO ccTLD Best Practices

  To: cctlds.mail@wipo.int
  Subject: [cctlds-comments] WIPO ccTLD Best Practices
  From: henry.olsson@justice.ministry.se
  Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:20:47 +0100

Name: Henry Olsson
Position: Special Government Adviser
1) I agree with the contents of footnote 1 on page 9 of the
Best Practices
Paper about the bad faith requirement
2 In addition, I question the need for three-member panels; not much value is
added compared to what a sole panelist can achieve and it adds considerable
practical complications in terms of organization of the work. Therefore, I
personally avoid serving on such panels
3) A practical problem which has arisen is the determination of when a
trademark right actually exists in cases where there is no registration. First,
it is not easy to determine in an administrative proceeding if a rights exists
or not on a legal basis other than registration (for instance, presence on the
market, or other legal concepts9. Secondly, the borderlines between trademarks
and trade names is frequently also problematic in such cases. Therefore, there
could be some merit in requesting registration as a basis for invoking a
trademark right in a domain name dispute (I leave aside the question of where
the registration should exist, which is discussed on page 10
4) Finally, this problem of the legal basis for the trademark right invoked
leads me to question the wisdom in the rule that the panelist should not be of
the same nationality as one of the parties. Especially when a non-registered
trademark right is invoked, a panelist from that country of often the only one
who is actually in a position to determine with some degree of certainty
whether such a right exists or not.

Back to Browse Comments for WIPO ccTLD Best Practices

Explore WIPO