WIPO Arbitration / WIPO Expedited Arbitration
The Center believes that arbitration should be cost effective. In consultation with parties and arbitrators, the Center ensures that all fees charged in a WIPO procedure are appropriate in light of the circumstances of the dispute. The costs of arbitration depend on different factors, including the amount in dispute and its complexity. The parties’ conduct will also have an impact on the costs of the arbitration.
WIPO Expedited Arbitration provides for fixed arbitration costs when the amount in dispute is up to US$ 10 million.
(All amounts are in United States dollars)
|Type of Fee||Amount in Dispute||Expedited Arbitration||Arbitration|
|Registration Fee||Any Amount||$1,000||$2,000|
|Administration Fee *||Up to $2.5M||$1,000||$2,000|
|Over $2.5M and up to $10M||$5,000||$10,000|
+0.05% of amount over $10M up to a maximum fee of $15,000
+0.05% of amount over $10M up to a maximum fee of $25,000
|Arbitrator(s) Fees *||Up to $2.5M||$20,000
As agreed by the Center in consultation with the parties and the arbitrator(s)
|Over $2.5M and up to $10M||$40,000
|Over $10M||As agreed by the Center in consultation with the parties and the arbitrator|
* Each bracket indicates the total amount of the fees payable in a dispute, e.g. the administration fee payable in an expedited Arbitration when the amount in dispute is $5million is $5,000 (and not a fee of $6,000 which would have resulted from adding the fees of $5,000 and $1,000).
- The Center may set-off all or part of the administration fees paid to it in connection with a WIPO mediation or a WIPO expert determination against the registration and administration fees payable to the Center in connection with a WIPO arbitration regarding the same dispute.
- Prior to the establishment of the arbitral tribunal, the Center shall fix an arbitrator's hourly or daily fee rate, in consultation with the parties and the arbitrator. In so doing, the Center shall take into consideration such factors as the amounts in dispute, the number of parties, the complexity of the dispute and the status and any special qualifications required of the arbitrator.
- An arbitrator shall be required to maintain a detailed and accurate record of the work done and the time spent on the arbitration. Following the termination of the arbitration, a copy of such records shall be provided to the parties and the Center, together with the arbitrator's invoice.
- After consulting with the parties and the arbitral tribunal, the Center shall determine the final amount to be paid to the sole arbitrator or each of the respective amounts to be paid to the presiding arbitrator and the other members of a three-member tribunal, taking into consideration the hourly or daily rates and maximum rates and other factors such as the complexity of the subject matter of the dispute and of the arbitration, the total time spent by the arbitrator, the diligence of the arbitral tribunal and the rapidity of the arbitration proceedings.
- For the purposes of calculating the costs of the arbitration, the amount of claims expressed in currencies other than United States dollars shall be converted if necessary to amounts expressed in United States dollars on the basis of the official United Nations exchange rate prevailing on the date of payment.
- For the purpose of calculating the arbitrators' fees, the value of any counterclaim should be added to the amount of the claim.
- Only paragraphs 1, 3, 5 and 6 above apply to Expedited Arbitration proceedings.
- A 25% reduction on the Center’s registration and administration fees applies if a party (or both parties) to the dispute is (are) named as applicant or inventor in a published PCT application, holders of international registrations under the Hague system or the Madrid system, or WIPO GREEN technology providers or seekers.
Payment Information Details
1. Payments to the WIPO Center shall be made by any of the following means only:
i) Bank transfer:
- Payments in US$: WIPO Account IBAN CH68 0483 5063 0397 8200 0, Credit Suisse, CH-1211 Geneva 70, Switzerland, SWIFT Code CRESCHZZ80A
- Payments in Euro: WIPO Account IBAN CH33 0483 5048 7080 8200 3, Credit Suisse, CH-1211 Geneva 70, Switzerland, SWIFT Code CRESCHZZ80A
- Payments in CHF: WIPO Account IBAN CH51 0483 5048 7080 8100 0, Credit Suisse, CH-1211 Geneva 70, Switzerland, SWIFT Code CRESCHZZ80A
- Payments in GBP: WIPO Account IBAN CH65 0483 5048 7080 8200 0, Credit Suisse, CH-1211 Geneva 70, Switzerland, SWIFT Code CRESCHZZ80A
(When making the transfer, please indicate the purpose of the payment, including the case reference if available, or the names of the parties to the proceeding)
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Arbitration and Mediation Center
34 chemin des Colombettes
1211 Geneva 20
(When mailing the check, please mention the paying party and the case reference if available.)
iii) Deduction from WIPO current account
2. Payments in cash will not be accepted.
3. All bank charges, transfer fees or other amounts that may be levied in connection with a payment made to the Center shall be the responsibility of the party making the payment.