This course is organized in cooperation with the Norwegian Industrial Property Office (NIPO). Its objective is to enhance technical skills and knowledge of senior patent examiners or persons conducting patent searches from developing countries. In addition, the course provides an opportunity for participants to share experiences among themselves as well as with Norwegian officials.
Content and Structure
- purpose of the patent system;
- introduction to the European and the Norwegian Patent System: aspects of biotechnology, software patenting, the Supplementary Protection Certificate (SPC);
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT);
- introduction to patent examination;
- patent search; PCT minimum documentation;
- manual patent search, search exercises;
- search tools using free databases, search exercises;
- assessment of patentability, exercises on assessing novelty and inventive step;
- implementation of a full electronic case handling.