- Duration - Approx. 120 hours of study time over a period of twelve weeks
- Languages - English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Tuition Fees
Advanced Course on Biotechnology and Intellectual Property (DL-204)
Registration for this course closed on February 28, 2013.
This Course demonstrates the manners in which the current intellectual property (IP) system can be utilized to effectively protect, develop and commercialize biotechnology inventions. It also fosters a view of the IP system that encourages its use as a tool for the increased development of and access to technology.
The course is comprised of 9 modules sub-divided into 4 sections and a final exam:
Section I: Principles of Biotechnology-Associated IP
- Module 1: Overview of Biotechnology and IP
- Module 2: International Framework of Biotechnology and IP
Section II: Current Biotechnology Practice
- Module 3: Reading a Biotechnology Patent
- Module 4: The Process of Getting a Biotechnology Patent
- Module 5: Searching Patent Databases
Section III: Application and Commercialization of Biotechnology IP
- Module 6: Biotechnology Research and Intellectual Property Rights Management
- Module 7: Licensing and Enforcing Intellectual property Rights
- Module 8: Commercializing your Biotechnology Invention – A Case Study
Section IV: Biotechnology and Development
- Module 9: IP and Development - Lecture on Flexibilities and Public Domain under Patents for Biotechnology
Academic support is provided throughout each module by experienced tutors who are expert practitioners in the field of IP.
Final Exam and Certificate
There is a written final exam at the end of this course for which participants are required to compose written responses to a series of questions within a specified timeframe and submit their responses, via electronic mail, to their tutors for marking. Participants are individually contacted regarding modalities for accessing the final exam approximately one week prior to the deadline for completion of the DL-204 course.
Participants who pass the DL-204 final exam will be awarded a certificate of completion for the course.
This course is open to Government officials of IP Offices, employees of non governmental organizations and intergovernmental organizations, patent attorneys, scientists, researchers, students and individuals who already possess strong working knowledge of the IP system.