This Master Degree, held at Seoul National University (SNU), is jointly offered by the WIPO Academy and SNU. The program is offered in English and is taught at SNU in Seoul (Republic of Korea).
It covers a period of two years: one year (two regular semesters and one summer program) of teaching at SNU plus one year (two additional regular semesters) of thesis-writing sessions at home.
Registration for the program generally takes place in June/July of the year preceding entry (i.e. June-July 2014 registration for 2015 entry). For precise dates, please consult the course program.
This Master Degree is tailored to provide knowledge and skills in intellectual property (IP) law, management, policy-making, and practice through exposure to an international and comparative approach, as well as global network, that will help play a leading role in the field of IP. Subjects covered include:
- General Introduction to IP
- International IP and IP Rights
- Emerging Issues in IP Rights
- IP Management and Commercialization
- IP Negotiation and Strategies
- Patents System
- Trademarks and Related Issues
- E-Commerce and Related Issues
- Patent Litigation
- IP Law and the System in the USA
- IP Law and the Systems in Asian Countries
- IP Seminar I
- IP Seminar II
- Research and Thesis
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will receive a Master's Degree in Intellectual Property (MIP), jointly awarded by SNU and WIPO.
This postgraduate course is open to persons holding a four-year Bachelor Degree in any discipline from SNU or an equivalent Korean or overseas institution.
In order to apply for the program, please contact SNU Office of Admissions directly.
The following documents should be sent to the SNU Office of Admissions during the application period (applicants must have already completed SNU's online application):
- Completed Application for Admission (Form 1)
- Personal Statement & Study Plan (Form 2)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (Form 3)
- Financial Certificate (Form 4)
- Permission of Inquiry of Certificate of Entry and Exit (Form 5)
- Transcripts, Graduation Certificates, Degree Certificates
- Score Report of Recognized English Proficiency Test (TOEFL, TEPS, or IELTS). Admission requires TOEFL score no less than 550 (PBT), 210 (CBT), 80 (IBT), IELTS score no less than 5.5, or TEPS score no less than 701.
- Any other appropriate supporting documents
- Fees: Tuition cost - approx. US$9,000; Accommodation fees - US$10,000; Other expenses - US$1,000
WIPO grants scholarships mainly through a Fund-in-Trust Agreement between WIPO and the Republic of Korea to qualified persons from developing countries who wish to obtain higher education in the field of IP.
They are granted to persons working in the public sector such as government offices, universities, academies, R&D and other institutions.
The WIPO scholarship covers tuition and travel costs. The non-tuition scholarships are provided by SNU to qualified international students.