This Master Degree, held at Seoul National University (SNU), is jointly offered by the WIPO Academy and SNU. It covers a period of two years: one year (two regular semesters and one summer program) of teaching at SNU plus one year (two additional regular semesters) of thesis-writing sessions at home.
This Master Degree is tailored to provide knowledge and skills in intellectual property (IP) law, management, policy-making, and practice through exposure to an international and comparative approach, as well as global network, that will help play a leading role in the field of IP. Subjects covered include:
- General Introduction to IP
- International IP and IP Rights
- Emerging Issues in IP Rights
- IP Management and Commercialization
- IP Negotiation and Strategies
- Patents System
- Trademarks and Related Issues
- E-Commerce and Related Issues
- Patent Litigation
- IP Law and the System in the USA
- IP Law and the Systems in Asian Countries
- IP Seminar I
- IP Seminar II
- Research and Thesis
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will receive a Master Degree of Intellectual Property Law, jointly awarded by SNU and WIPO.
This postgraduate course is open to persons holding a four-year Bachelor Degree in any discipline from SNU or an equivalent Korean or overseas institution.
Registration for this Master Degree is open from January 1 to February 28, 2014. The following documents should be sent to the SNU Office of Admissions during the application period (applicants must have already completed the online application):
- Completed Application for Admission (Form 1)
- Personal Statement & Study Plan (Form 2)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (Form 3)
- Financial Certificate (Form 4)
- Permission of Inquiry of Certificate of Entry and Exit (Form 5)
- Transcripts, Graduation Certificates, Degree Certificates
- Score Report of Recognized English Proficiency Test (TOEFL, TEPS, or IELTS). Admission requires TOEFL score no less than 550 (PBT), 210 (CBT), 80 (IBT), IELTS score no less than 5.5, or TEPS score no less than 701.
- Any other appropriate supporting documents
Admission Guide | Forms
WIPO grants scholarships through a Fund-in-Trust Agreement between WIPO and the Republic of Korea to students from developing countries who are highly motivated to develop a career in the IP field. The scholarship covers tuition and travel costs.
SNU Center for Law and Technology will offer scholarships covering all or part of non-tuition costs, such as lodge and board.
To apply for a scholarship, submit your completed application form, personal statement/curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation, transcripts, graduation certificates, degree certificates and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Venue - Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Language - English
- Duration - Two years
- Tuition fees - approx. US$9,000
- Accommodation fees - US$10,000
- Other expenses - US$5,000
- Materials - US$1,000
- Online applications
- Admission Guide