August 24 to 26, 2010
The 4th Symposium of the Global Network on Intellectual Property (IP) Academies (GNIPA) was held in Seoul, Korea, in collaboration with the International Intellectual Property Training Institute (IIPTI) of the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) from August 24 to 26, 2010.
The Participating Members of the GNIPA were:
- African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI)
- Center for Industrial Property Information and Training- Japan (INPIT)
- European Patent Academy (EPA)
- European Patent Office (EPO)
- Global Intellectual Property Academy, United States Patent and Trademark Office(USPTO)
- Indonesian IP Academy (IIPA)
- Intellectual Property Academy of Singapore (IPAS)
- Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan (IPO-PAK)
- International Intellectual Property Training Institute (IIPTI), Korea Intellectual Property Office (KIPO)
- Kenya Industrial Property Institute
- Korea Intellectual Property Academy (KIPA)
- National Industrial Property Institute – Brazil (INPI-Brazil)
- Nigerian Copyright Institute (NCI)
- China Intellectual Property Training Center (CIPTC), State Intellectual Property Office of China (SIPO)
- Indonesian Intellectual Property Academy (IIPA) (observer)
- World Intellectual Property Organization Academy (WIPO Academy)
At the 4th Symposium, representatives from national and regional institutions discussed eLearning, financing and long-term sustainability of IP Academies, Evaluation of Training, Exchange of Expertise and Information, and Internship in IP Academies, as projected in the 3rd Symposium. The presentations of the 4th Symposium were distributed to the participants and the same would be made available on the GNIPA Website.
Secretariat of GNIPA
The secretariat is composed of WIPO and two other members of GNIPA (comprising of the current host and the next host). The term of the secretariat is one year. The WIPO Academy shall be responsible for the day to day administration of the work of the secretariat of GNIPA that will be agreed upon by all members.
For the period 2010-2011, the secretariat will be composed of WIPO, International Intellectual Property Training Institute (IIPTI-KIPO) and, the host of the 2010 meeting.
Promotion of GNIPA
Any applicant to the GNIPA for membership should be made through the secretariat. Current members of GNIPA are invited to promote GNIPA and to invite other potential IP training institutes to apply for membership.
Linked to and administered by the WIPO Academy, the site may contain inter alia:
i. an international survey of key figures on IP education, training and research;
ii. educational materials and documents which result from mutual cooperation;
iii. a status of all IP Academies member of GNIPA covering institutional setup, mandate, aim, objective, scope of activities, quantitative and qualitative data, perspectives.
With a view to sharing the above mentioned information among the members, commissioned case studies on IP Management (WIPO Academy) was made available on the Website for the use by the members. An international survey was conducted (INPI Brazil) on IP education, training and research and was discussed during the Symposium. In order to optimize the use of the data contained in the said survey, it will first be translated from Portuguese to English, and the data would be equipped with the relevant user-friendly format.
Members are invited to provide information to the above-listed items to ensure the completeness of the content of the Website. This information should be sent to
Follow-up from Munich Action Plan
Following implementation of the Munich Action Plan in 2010, it was agreed that some of the activities would continue and members would be informed in the Fifth
- Financing and long-term sustainability of IP Academies (IP Academy-Singapore),
Recommended future Projects
5.1 Project: Distance Learning (eLearning)
Project coordinator: WIPO and EPO
5.2 Project: New techniques or approaches to build IP awareness
- Participatory approach
Project coordinator: Indonesian Intellectual Property Academy (IIPA)
5.3 Project: Facilitate Publication of and the Research on IP Related Matters/Materials
- Needs Assessment Study to identify IP related matters that are of particular interest, for further research, for developing countries
Project coordinator: (Nigerian Copyright Office) and WIPO
5.4 Project: Interdisciplinary IP Teaching
- Collect pertinent information on the current status of training courses in universities and member IP offices and WIPO
Project coordinator: INPIT-Japan
5.5 Project: Developing methodology for sector based studies on IP
Project coordinator: INPI- Brazil
In response to the expressed need for mid-term reporting and minor adjustments to the format of the program, the WIPO Academy would facilitate the progress of the specific
The delegates expressed their appreciation to the IIPTI and WIPO for the excellent organization of the Symposium and hospitality extended to the participants
The Secretariat of GNIPA undertook to communicate the outcome of this Symposium to the press and will continue to invite other national and regional IP Academies and similar institutions to join the network.
In response to the expressed need for mid-term reporting and minor adjustments to the format of the program, the WIPO Academy would facilitate the progress of the specific projects through a follow-up mechanism and inform members of the format of the Fifth Symposium.
The delegates expressed their appreciation to the IIPTI and WIPO for the excellent organization of the Symposium and hospitality extended to the participants The Secretariat of GNIPA undertook to communicate the outcome of this Symposium to the press and will continue to invite other national and regional IP Academies and similar institutions to join the network.