The Special Projects Division (SPD) is responsible for developing projects for the Development Sector of WIPO in order to fulfill the requirements and challenges of using intellectual property (IP) for development. In addition to project design and coordination, a key role of the Division is to develop electronic platforms, to disseminate information related to IP for development using the latest technologies, and to raise awareness of IP in developing and least developed countries.
Our activities include:
- Supporting the implementation of national IP strategies in countries where a strategy has already been formulated in accordance with the methodology developed under the DA project;
- Supporting the formulation of national IP strategies using appropriate methodological tools, in collaboration with Regional Bureaus;
- Promoting and coordinating initiatives in the area of IP and branding for business and local community development;
- Developing innovative, cross-cutting projects which embrace different substantive areas of IP (e.g. innovation, brands and design, cultural industries), and which require internal and external coordination; and
- Developing, enhancing and managing an electronic platform for the dissemination of information on technologies and modalities to support and improve IP for development related activities.
As per requests made by member states and stakeholders, the Special Projects Division is also involved with projects within the Development Sector. These include, among others:
- The Technical Assistance Database (IP-TAD), which contains information on technical assistance activities undertaken by WIPO; and
- The WIPO Roster of Consultants (ROC) Database, which contains information on consultants engaged by WIPO to undertake specific intellectual property technical assistance activities at the national level in developing countries, least developed countries and countries in transition; and
- The IP Development Matchmaking Database (IP-DMD), developed in response to recommendation 9 of the WIPO Development Agenda. The database is an online tool for matching specific IP related development needs with resources offered by potential donors to member states and stakeholders.