Over the past several years, the Development Sector has had the responsibility to develop, implement and eventually mainstream into technical assistance programs a number of Development Agenda (DA) projects proposed and adopted by the CDIP. In addition, the Sector has been in charge of executing a number of CDIP’s instructions, in connection with DA assignments. Projects and instructions allocated for implementation to the Development Sector were identified as having a technical assistance focus, and as being clearly oriented toward supporting development objectives.
Given the cross-cutting nature of such projects, either from a substantive, structural, or regional perspective, this Unit is managing ongoing projects, phasing out and mainstreaming projects, and continuously developing new ones, in coordination with Regional Bureaus and other Divisions outside the Development Sector.
Projects under implementation include:
- The establishment of a focal point on SSC which is responsible for coordinating, evaluating and supporting issues relatives to South-South Cooperation and Triangular Cooperation and the consequent integration of SSC functions within WIPO;
- The development and administration of specialized databases of Technical Assistance (TA) activities and South-South Cooperation (SSC) activities, including mapping and reporting on such activities, as well as a roster of consultants;
- Strengthening the competitiveness of certain economic/productive sectors, namely through the use of IP for origin-linked product branding, and for the use of IP in the promotion of tourism and cultural heritage in Egypt, Ecuador, Namibia and Sri Lanka (ongoing DA project, 2016-2018);
- Administering WIPO Match platform which is an online tool to match seekers of specific intellectual property (IP)-related development needs with potential providers offering resources;
- Designing, managing, phasing out and mainstreaming projects, such as a methodology to support the formulation of national IP strategies as well as executing other relevant CDIP assignments.